Sunday, December 26, 2010

Week Five

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I love having kids in the house who still believe in Santa, it makes it so much fun. One of the benefits of having kids 15 years apart is I figure I will always have either a child or a grandchild who still believes. :)

Are you all sleep deprived from all the holiday preparations? I know I am. So I will get right into next weeks bonus challenge: Get at least 7 hours of sleep per night. Some of you might already be doing this with no problem but for those of you who aren't (like me) here is a pretty good argument as to why you should get enough ZZZ's:

"Your body has to have enough time to rest," says Michael Fleming, MD, president of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Otherwise, he says you may find yourself feeling cranky and tired.

This may sound like common sense, but according to the National Sleep Foundation (NSF), more than two-thirds of older adults suffer from sleep problems and many American adults don't get the minimum amount of shuteye needed to stay alert.

Sleep is vital to good health and to mental and emotional well-being. The NSF reports that people who don't get enough slumber are more likely than others to develop psychiatric problems and to use health care services. Plus, sleep deprivation can negatively affect memory, learning, and logical reasoning.

Not enough ZZZs can also be hazardous. More than one-half of adult drivers -- some 100 million people -- say they have driven drowsy in the past year, according to NSF polls. About one out of five of these drivers -- 32 million people -- say they've fallen asleep while driving.

Each year drowsy driving causes more than 100,000 car crashes, 1,500 deaths, and tens of thousands of injuries, reports the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The NSF recommends taking a 15 to 20 minute nap. Because it takes about 30 minutes for the caffeine to work, taking a nap while you wait for the caffeine to kick in can help restore alertness.

To avoid the pitfalls of insufficient sleep, make sure to get at least seven to 10 hours of slumber each night. Kids need more sleep, depending on their age.
(copied from webmd.com)

I realize that New Years Eve might make this fairly difficult, so let's just say get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep each night Mon. to Fri. to get one bonus entry.

I messed up my dates on the contest details, the contest will end Saturday at noon, Jan. 1st. We will have the raffle drawing Saturday at noonish. I am debating on doing it at the West Y after Crystals zumba class or to meet somewhere for lunch (Costa Vida?). Leave me your preference in your comments. I realize that obviously not everyone will be able to come to the drawing, especially my non-locals. You need not be present to win the raffle drawing. I will post all winners on the blog and via Facebook. I will also post the total entries for everyone so far as soon as I hear from everyone for this last week (unless you prefer me not to). Everything make sense? Let me know if you have any questions and have a good week, hopefully catching up on some lost sleep!

9 comments:

  1. I did all 7 days this week (and Christmas was DANG HARD!!!) and I was able to get my fruits and veggies in!!! Although, I think I may have indulged on sweets a little too much (Marilyn's cinnamon rolls killed me!) And I would love Costa Vida, but anything works for me! Thanks again for doing this, Jani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 for me this week. Did NOT meet the challenge. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7 plus the bonus. Loved my Christmas workout b/c Santa brought me a Garmin with a heart rate monitor. Had to go for a run to try out my new toys! I will be out of town on Saturday, Jani.
    P.S. I did Candice's Zumba class at Solace this week. That girl can dance! She's trained as a ballroom dancer and competed on a professional level internationally. At Solace your first class is free and it's worth going just to watch Candi, not to mention a very fun workout! Google Solace in Meridian and call for her schedule. I know she teaches this Wed. at 6:30pm and probably M/W at 6:30pm after the New Year, but call first to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got 6 points plus the bonus(7). I attempted pilates on Christmas but too many people needing too much play partners. By bedtime, I was just done. I really need the sleep and motivation to get to bed by 10ish. Great bonus - do we get another points if we get our kids to bed early too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 for me this week, did NOT make the challenge, but I did increase my daily fruit/veggie intake! I won't be able to make it to the drawing on Saturday...bummer! I too was impressed with Candice, Jessica, that girl can move it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job girls! Jessica, my sister-n-law teaches at solace, Pyper. I've never been there though. I will have to check it out sometime, probably after baby though. It's all I can do to keep up with my own classes right now.

    And Stacie, all your kids were in bed by 10? I am VERY impressed. Mine think that since they don't have school, they can stay up watching movies or playing games til midnight (minus the little guy of course.) Aaron can keep up with them but I sit down to watch a movie with them and I am out in 10 minutes or less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know Pyper teaches there. I remember her from the New Year's Zumba and drawing last year. You would have fun at Candi's class (post baby) because you would already be familiar with the steps and not tripping over yourself like I do.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. 6 days and I only dreamed I met the challenge in my two hours of sleep a night. Ick insomnia stinks. Yes I teach at solace but just have up the two classes and candi is taking over I'm sad but you'll be left in great Hands. She's awesome.

    ReplyDelete