Sunday, December 12, 2010

Week Three!

Everybody still going strong? Whew! It's a busy month! I think my house is messier in December than any other month, sadly. Laundry is piled high, but gotta get that workout in! Ha!

So how did you do with the water challenge? Be sure to let me know how many workouts you got in plus the bonus challenge if you were able to get in all 64 oz. everyday last week. (A week is considered to be Mon.-Sun.) The challenge for this week is going to be to try a different kind of workout. Crosstraining helps prevent injuries and burnout in your workouts. Have you ever thought you were in good shape because you maybe run 4 to 5 times a week, but then go snow skiing for the first time for the season? Yeah, I think you might know what I'm talking about. You work your mucscles in a different way than they are used to, and then they respond differently. Here is an exerpt from an ACE fitness article:

Cross training is a great way to condition different muscle groups, develop a new set of skills, and reduce boredom that creeps in after months of the same exercise routines. Cross training also allows you the ability to vary the stress placed on specific muscles or even your cardiovascular system. After months of the same movements your body becomes extremely efficient performing those movements, and while that is great for competition, it limits the amount of overall fitness you possess and reduces the actual conditioning you get while training; rather than continuing to improve, you simply maintain a certain level of fitness. Cross training is also necessary to reduce the risk of injury from repetitive strain or overuse.

So, for a bonus entry this week, I challenge you to try a different type of workout at least once. Maybe a yoga or pilates workout, a water aerobic class, a spin class, a different cardio machine, or an ever popular zumba class. If you are a gym rat, maybe a walk/run outside might be refreshing. Anything that gets you to move in way that your body isn't already used to. If you don't have a gym membership, you can rent exercise videos from the library, go skiing or snowboarding, try snow shoeing, or a hike in the hills. If you need some help on deciding what to do, just let me know, I'd be happy to help. Good luck and I'd love to hear what new workout you tried and how you liked it next week. (PS, it doesn't have to be something you've NEVER done, just maybe something you haven't done in a long time or wouldn't typically do.)

Have a great week and lets hope for some more snow!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. 6 work outs for me this wee, plus the bonus! Your challenge for this week scares me! LOL. But I'll try! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said I'd do better this week, but still left room for improvement! I get 3 this week, but no bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I got 7 points plus 1 bonus. That was a LOT of water, especially when I left 4 cups until 8 pm. Learned from that mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7 for me again this week plus the bonus! And I agree about the water challenge - Monday night I still had about 3 cups to go around 9ish and didn't wait until the end of the night any other night. Plus, I almost felt like I was pregnant again with how many times I had to go to the bathroom! :) Question, though, for this week's challenge does keeping up with the P90X work or should I add something different into it like a jog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7 plus the bonus water challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I stink. 5 again. I'm pretty sure I got the water challenge in. I didn't really keep track, but I drank a TON of water this last week. I just looked at my bottle and it's 24oz and I probably had at least 5-6 a day so yeah, 6 all together! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the new workout, I already got it in. It's not so much "new" for me, I just haven't done it in a long time. I did interval sprints today after running on the treadmill. I loathe running, but I want to do Robie again and actually maybe train a little for it so I don't walk like I'm 80 years old after. Anyway, interval sprints were awesome today. Ran the fastest I've ever ran for the longest I've ever ran. :) Hurts so good.

    ReplyDelete